With the seventh overall, the Flyers, for the third consecutive season, picked a defenseman when they selected from the WHL, Brandon Wheat Kings Ivan Provorov.
- Ivan Provorov (Russia)
After drafting Provorov, the Flyers were decided they wanted to move down in the draft to get a player from their wish list. So when Toronto went on the clock at 24th, the Flyers talked to the Leafs and the two teams agreed on a trade.
The Philadelphia Flyers traded their 29th (first round) and 61st (second round) to the Toronto Maple Leafs for their 24th overall selection.
And with the 24th overall, the Flyers selected Ottawa 67's forward Travis Konecny.
- Travis Konecny (Canada)
The remainder of the draft took place on Saturday where rounds two through seven were completed. The Flyers were scheduled to pick seven times and the only change came when they wound up trading their 99th overall to the Los Angeles Kings for 104th overall and a 6th round pick in 2016.
Moments after the draft completed, the Flyers made one more trade. The Philadelphia Flyers officially traded Nicklas Grossmann and Chris Pronger (his contract) to the Arizona Coyotes for Sam Gagner and a conditional pick (either a 2016 4th or a 2017 3rd). Sam Gagner, 25, will come with a $3.2 million cap hit. Gagner, a former first round pick in 2007, 7th overall, scored 41 points in 81 games for the Coyotes last season.
Flyers Draft Notes: & Numbers:
- Drafted 9 players from 5 separate countries: Russia - 3; Canada - 2; USA - 1, Czech Republic - 1; Slovakia - 1; Sweden - 1
- Drafted three Russian born players in the same draft for the first time in 23 years
- First time ever that the Flyers selected a Russian born player with their first round pick
- First time in 16 years that the Flyers did not select at least 3 Canadians
- Tomek became the first Slovakian born player drafted by the Flyers in 11 years
- Drafted a defenseman first for the third consecutive season - was the first time in 37 years that the organization selected defenseman first in three straight years (1976-78).
- Drafted 5 forwards, 3 goalies, and 1 defenseman
- Only the fourth time in Flyers draft history that they selected 3 goalies in the same draft
- Average height of drafted Flyers: 6'1"
- Average weight of drafted Flyers: 188lbs
- Drafted 7 lefties and 2 righties