|Sharks score on the 1st shot of the game|
The Flyers followed the exact same trend they had set in their last 7 games, playing form behind early. San Jose scored on the very 1st shot of the game, less than 3 minutes in. Philadelphia has now surrendered the 1st goal of the game to their opponents in 8 straight and 11 of their last 12 games. The Flyers have only had a lead once in their last 34 games at the halfway mark of the 1st period.
Coming from behind has become a norm for them. Unfortunately they couldn't get it done tonight.
The Sharks scored their 1st goal on a poor defensive play by the Flyers. It was a 2 on 2 and the always dangerous Joe Thornton drew both Flyers defenders allowing Ryan Clowe untouched to the faceoff dot. He took a quick snap shot that seemed to have deflected off a Flyers skate (according to Bryzgalov) and past Ilya Bryzgalov.
|Bryzgalov makes a great save on Thornton|
But the Flyers couldn't take advantage.
Sharks goaltender Antti Niemi played well, but the Flyers just didn't get enough quality chances.
There was a scare late in the game in the 3rd period when Sharks defenseman, Marc-Edouard Vlasic checked Danny Briere from behind sending him head first into the boards. Briere just laid on the ice struggling just to get on all fours as play continued without any penalty. Play was eventually stopped and Danny was able to leave the ice on his own volition. Briere stayed in the game, and afterwards said he was a little dizzy immediately following the hit, but feels better now.
|Niemi makes one of his 25 saves|
Tonight is the 2nd time the Flyers have been shutout in their last 3 games. They also continued their losing streak in games after a win. The Flyers have lost 9 in a row in games following a victory.
With the loss they fall to 6th place in the East.
- Ilya Bryzgalov, who made his 6th straight start tonight, stopped 22 of 23 shots while Antti Niemi stopped all 25 shots, recording his 5th shutout of the season.
- Last time the Flyers faced Niemi was in game 6 of the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals (the game Chicago won the Cup).
- Claude Giroux was held without a shot for the 1st time all season.
- Danny Briere, who was moved to the 4th line to start the game, failed to score for the 17th straight game. His longest single season goalless streak is 19, back in the 1998-9 season.
- It is the 5th time the Flyers have been shutout this season, yet they still have the highest scoring percentage in the NHL.
- The Flyers went 2 and 2 on their West coast road trip.
Drop the Puck:
The Flyers finally come home after an 11 day road trip and get back into action against the Islanders.
(photos courtesy of ESPN NHL)