|Vanek scoring 1 of his career high 5 points|
Buffalo struck first on their first PowerPlay of the game when Jason Pomminville set up Steve Ott in the high slot giving the Sabres a 1-0 lead.
The Flyers appeared to tie the game after Ruslan Fedotenko put the puck behind Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller; however, the official called goalie interference on Fedotenko waiving it off immediately. Both teams appeared surprised as Fedotenko barely grazed Miller on the play, but regardless the Sabres took their 1 goal lead into the 2nd period.
After being outshot 13-7 in the 1st period, the Flyers finally found their edge.
|Couturier scores his first goal of the season|
Sean Couturier got the Flyers on the board by deflecting Kurtis Foster's shot from the point past Miller to tie the game. Foster's assist was his first point as a Flyer.
Less than 3 minutes later the Flyers struck again. This time it was their turn on the PowerPlay. Claude Giroux blasted a one-timer from the top of the circle cleanly beating Miller over his left shoulder giving the Flyers their first lead of the game and of the season.
|Giroux scored his 2nd goal in as many games|
The game remained tied going into the 3rd period and both teams played fairly even hockey until Luke Schenn took another penalty with only 6 minutes left. And Buffalo made them pay again. Tyler Ennis took an innocent wrist shot from the point which deflected off Kimmo Timonen's skate into the back of the cage putting Buffalo on top once again.
A little over a minute later, Buffalo added to their lead. Thomas Vanek went in all alone on Bryzgalov again, but this time Ilya made the save; however, Cody Hodgson was there to bury the rebound.
|Sabres score the go-ahead goal|
Thomas Vanek added his 2nd goal of the game and 5th point by tacking on a empty net goal with 48 seconds remaining.
This afternoon was Buffalo's first game of the season while it was the Flyers second game in less than 24 hours. Losses are never blamed on excuses but the Flyers were definitely the more tired hockey team in the 3rd period, thus leading to poor penalties and lack of scoring chances. Philadelphia was outshot 8-3 and outscored 2-0 in the final 10 minutes of the game. Buffalo just had more jump in their step as they outshot the Flyers 41-29, had more hits, and less penalty minutes, leading to their first victory of the season and leaving the Flyers to go home 0-2.
- It is the first time the Flyers started the season 0-2 since 2008.
- Zac Rinaldo left the game in the 1st period with a leg laceration. He was cut by a skate above the knee and required 20 stitches to patch up. His availability for Tuesday is unknown.
- Buffalo went 3 for 6 on their PowerPlay, while the Flyers went 1 for 5.
- Thomas Vanek scored a career high 5 points (2 goals and 3 assists) today.
- Vanek and Cody Hodgson accounted for 16 shots.
- Claude Giroux had 1 goal, 3 shots and won 57.7% of his faceoffs in 24:13 minutes.
- Today was Philadelphia's first loss in Buffalo since December 21st 2007.
- Scott Hartnell had the first fight of the Flyers season squaring off with Drew Stafford. Hartnell threw and landed more punches but Stafford ended up on top of Scotty at the end of the fight.
CLICK HERE for today's game highlights
Drop the Puck:
The Flyers will get the day off tomorrow from games and practice and will get back in action on Tuesday night against last season's Conference Champion New Jersey Devils.