|Simmonds jump starts his team|
The Flyers won for the first time all season when trailing after 2 periods. They were 0-7 all year, but that didn't stop them from putting their foot on the gas in the 3rd today. Down 3-2 heading into the final stanza, Philadelphia mounted a comeback as they took advantage of their PowerPlay scoring 3 goals on the man-advantage today including 2 in the 3rd period.
Scott Hartnell, who missed the last 16 games due to a broken foot, made a welcomed return to the Flyers lineup this afternoon well ahead of schedule. Hartnell was put on Claude Giroux's line with Jake Voracek and the line combined for 13 shots including Hartnell's 5.
|Schenn scoring 1 of his 2 goals today|
Unfortunately the momentum did not stay with the Flyers to start the 2nd period. Winnipeg outshot Philadelphia 11-5 in the first half of the period, while tacking on 2 goals. The first came from Olli Jokinen on a spin-around shot while the second on perfect deflection from Alex Burmistrov. And just like, the third momentum swing gave the Jets a 2 goal lead.
Philadelphia's PowerPlay became the story of the rest of the game. The Flyers scored goals on 3 consecutive PowerPlays. The first came in the 2nd period when the Flyers were on a 2 man-advantage. Claude Giroux scored on a laser shot that snuck in under the crossbar starting the comeback.
|Simmonds scoring the eventual game winner|
Less than 3 minutes later, with 8 minutes gone in the 3rd period, the Flyers were given another PowerPlay, with the chance to take the lead, and they took full advantage. This time it was Brayden Schenn who made the great pass to Simmonds for the go-ahead goal, giving the Flyers their first lead of the day.
Special teams played an enormous role today, but not just on the PowerPlay. The Flyers penalty kill was also tremendous. In fact, they were a perfect 4 for 4 including a huge kill with less than 4 minutes remaining in the game to help preserve their 1-goal lead.
Zac Rinaldo tacked on an empty net goal, sealing the 2-point victory, 5-3.
Philadelphia improves to 9-10-1 on the season; alone in 8th place, with 19 points.
- Zac Rinaldo played his best game of the year. Rinaldo played a season high 14:18 minutes, while registering a career high 4 shots on goal and had an unprecedented 12 hits this afternoon. He played so well, head coach Peter Laviolette awarded him by putting him out with less than a minute remaining allowing for him to get an empty net goal.
- Scott Hartnell played in his first game since January 22nd. Hartnell had 5 shots and 1 hit in 14:54 minutes.
- The Flyers took 39 shots on goal today, their second highest total all season.
- Ilya Bryzgalov made 34 saves on 37 shots.
- The Flyers PowerPlay was 3 for 6 today, tying their season high for most PowerPlay goals scored in a single game.
- Jake Voracek had 3 assists today. He now leads the Flyers with 22 points and is tied for 5th in the NHL.
- Voracek has 12 points in his last 5 games, becoming the first Flyers player to do that since Peter Forsberg in 2005, 13 points in 5 games (per Anthony SanFilippo).
- Claude Giroux's goal and an assist give him a total of 18 points in 20 games. He is tied for 14th in the NHL.
To view highlights of today's game: CLICK HERE
Drop the Puck:
The Flyers have off tomorrow and will get back into action when they host the Toronto Maple Leafs on Monday night.