|Bryzgalov and Flyers play a great bounce back game|
The Flyers put up a strong effort in response to last night's mess against Toronto in which they played very sloppy in their 5-2 defeat. Also Ilya Bryzgalov made his presence known immediately and throughout the entire game. Bryzgalov was pulled for the first time all season yesterday, yet responded nicely tonight making 24 saves on 26 shots.
Philadelphia was desperate for a road win as they only had one all season coming into tonight's contest. They would need a full team effort to gain their first road victory since January 26th, and that's exactly what they got.
|Timonen converts on the PowerPlay|
The Jets tied the game at 1 on a nice pass from Blake Wheeler to Andrew Ladd in between the circles. Ladd beat Bryzgalov for his 5th goal of the season.
The lead was restored shortly after Ladd's tally. Less than 3 minutes later, the Flyers converted on their PowerPlay on a blast from Kimmo Timonen with Wayne Simmonds providing the screen in front. Timonen's goal was Philadelphia's first road PowerPlay goal since January 29th versus the Rangers.
The Flyers carried their 2-1 lead into the 3rd period as there were not any tallies in the middle stanza. Tye McGinn increased the Flyers lead to 2 when Jake Voracek provided another great pass setting McGinn up in front. The puck appeared to ricochet off McGinn's skate, but the ruling was that there was 'no kicking motion' thus a good goal. McGinn's goal wasn't his only contribution to tonight's contest. McGinn dropped the gloves with Mark Stuart providing one of the more entertaining fights of the season, helping pump the Flyers up in that slow 2nd period.
The 2 goal lead was kept as the 'last minute to play' announcement was made. The Jets pulled their goaltender and successfully converted with the extra skater with 46 seconds remaining on a goal from Andrew Ladd.
But that would be as close as the Jets would get. The Flyers finally got a road win increasing their poor road record to 2-6 on the season. They still have 4 more road games left on this trip.
The win brings the Flyers to a 6-7-1 record for 13 points, tying them for 9th place in the Eastern Conference.
- Brayden Schenn has 7 points in his last 7 games, while Jake Voracek has 7 points in his last 6 games.
- Harry Zolnierczyk was called up and played in his first game of the season for the Flyers. Zolnierczyk had 2 shots, 2 hits and 2 blocked shots in 9:50 minutes.
- The Flyers improved to 4-0 when scoring 3 goals or more.
- Tye McGinn scored his first career NHL game winning goal tonight.
- Claude Giroux won 56% of his faceoffs while the rest of the team won a pathetic 22%.
- Jets starting goaltender Al Montoya was pulled in between the 2nd and 3rd period tonight for what was only called a lower body injury. He would remain on the bench. Ondrej Pavelec replaced him.
- The Flyers took 12 shots in the first two periods combined, while they took 11 in the 3rd period alone.
- Sean Couturier missed his second straight game with the flu.
To view the highlights of tonight's game: CLICK HERE
Drop the Puck:
The Flyers have a rare 2 nights off before they get back into action on Friday at the New Jersey Devils.