|Flyers 1st line combines for 10 points|
Philadelphia finally played the game that they have been looking for after two bad losses in a row, to New Jersey and Montreal. The Flyers played a full 60 minute hockey game without any blemishes. The offense was explosive scoring 7 goals, the defense was stellar allowing only 19 shots while blocking 23 shots, their goaltending was perfect stopping all 19 shots, and their PowerPlay clicked going 2 for 4 while their penalty kill was a perfect 5 for 5. There was not a weak spot in the Flyers game tonight.
Giroux scores 2 goals and an assist
"It was a complete game today. Started from the first shift until the horn sounded.
It was a really strong effort by the group tonight." Peter Laviolette said of his team today.
|Giroux revs up team scoring 26 seconds in|
Giroux continued his hard work all game ending with 2 goals, 1 assist, +3, 4 shots, and 3 hits while winning 67% of his faceoffs. After the game his team couldn't say enough about his efforts. "He's our best player, he's our leader." Jake Voracek said, who registered 4 assists today. "When he says something, he always does it. That's why he's a winner."
|Briere scores 2 goals in the 3rd|
"Our captain led the way," Briere said. "He called us out after last game and his first shift of the game he had a big hit on Tavares then finds a way in and scores a goal. Can't say enough about his leadership right there."
The Flyers added 2 more goals to their lead in the 2nd period. Brayden Schenn scored on the PowerPlay, and then it was Claude Giroux again. Giroux found himself open in front and patiently tucked the puck in past Islanders goalie Evgeni Nabokov. And the Flyers lead was increased to 4 entering the 3rd period.
Philadelphia's lead was increased to 4 entering the 3rd period where they continued to dominate. They scored their 5th goal of the game on Zac Rinaldo's 1st tally of the season then Danny Briere tacked on 2 more scoring his 4th and 5th goals of the year, the first coming on the PowerPlay.
|Bryzgalov earns first shutout of the season|
"It was fun to play tonight. We weren't satisfied with how were playing as a team, it wasn't acceptable," Giroux stated. "Tonight everyone wanted to win. And it's a lot more fun to play like that. And we're going to keep playing like that. Every game we have to show up and play a full 60 (minutes). We have to keep playing like this, with the want to win."
The Flyers improve to 7-9-1 on the season and are 2-3 on this current 6 game road trip.
- The Flyers first line of Giroux, Read and Voracek accounted for 10 combined points today.
- The 2nd line of Briere, Schenn and Wayne Simmonds combined for 6 points.
- Zac Rinaldo's goal was the 3rd of his career and first since March 15, 2012, which also came against the Islanders.
- 11 different Flyers registered at least 1 point while 5 Flyers had at least 2 or more.
- The Flyers were a perfect 5 for 5 on the penalty kill today. They have killed off 21 straight PowerPlays and 37 of the last 39.
- During that stretch they have gone 6 straight games without giving up a PowerPlay goal.
- Bryzgalov posted his 30th career shutout and first since March 13th of last year against the Devils. That was his third straight shutout, en route to setting the Flyers longest shutout streak.
To view highlights of today's game: CLICK HERE
Drop the Puck:
The Flyers finish off their road trip in Pittsburgh Wednesday night when they face the Penguins.
"We've got a big game against Pittsburgh, we'd like to bottle up tonight and bring it into Pittsburgh." Laviolette said after today's game.