|Theodore celebrates his shootout victory|
Philadelphia's shootout woes continue. In a game that the Flyers should have won, they lost in the dreaded shootout again. Since the shootout's inception, the Flyers have won a league low 23 times and have lost 41. Tonight's game increased that number to 42.
The Florida Panthers got off to an early lead when Jack Skille snuck one past Ilya Bryzgalov halfway through the 1st period. Kimmo Timonen was used as a screen but the goal was one that Bryzgalov would like to have back.
The Flyers tied the game up in a hurry when they were given a PowerPlay. Just 52 seconds following the Panthers goal, Jake Voracek scored on shot from the circle with several bodies in front of the net beating Florida goaltender Jose Theodore, knotting the game at 1.
Philadelphia came out strong in the 2nd period and the hard working line of Sean Couturier, Mike Knuble and Matt Read cashed in 2:42 minutes into the stanza. Knuble got the puck on net and jabbed it free before Theodore could control it and Read picked it up and buried it giving the Flyers a 2-1 lead.
|Huberdeau scores in the shootout|
On the other end, Florida took advantage when given a PowerPlay of their own. Stephen Weiss scored only 10 seconds into their PowerPlay tying the score at 2 apiece.
The game was forced into overtime where the Flyers played tremendous hockey. They controlled the puck very well pressured hard and outshot the Panthers 5-0 in the 5 minute period, unfortunately they were unable to close.
So the game required a shootout. Last season the Flyers were 3-6 in the shootout and they hoped to turn that around this season.
|Giroux gets stopped in shootout|
The Flyers will at least get one point for their effort but still get the loss. They fall to 4-6-1 on the season.
- Matt Read has 4 goals in 2 games versus the Panthers this season. And he has 6 goals in 6 career games against Florida.
- Both Philadelphia and Florida went 1-4 on their PowerPlay.
- Ilya Bryzgalov ended the night with 22 saves on 24 shots.
- The Flyers failed to score more than 2 goals again for the 9th time this season out of 11 games.
- Claude Giroux had 1 assist, 3 shots a and won 60% of his faceoffs in 21:05 minutes.
- Kimmo Timonen was signed to a 1 year extension with the Flyers worth $6 million before the game. Timonen had 1 assist, 3 shots, 2 blocked shots in 26:20 minutes tonight.
To view highlights of tonight's games: CLICK HERE
Drop the Puck:
The Flyers will play Saturday afternoon at home against the Carolina Hurricanes.