|Bryzgalov gives up a penalty shot goal|
Emotions were high last night as they went into Pittsburgh and played one of the most entertaining games of the year, defeating the Penguins 6-5.
The Flyers flew home and had to play the Panthers less than 24 hours later. Florida came into tonight's game second to last place. Whether the Flyers took them lightly or they were emotionally spent and tired from the night before, Florida took full advantage.
The Panthers scored 3 goals in a 2 minute span before the halfway mark of the 1st period. Peter Mueller scored the first off a defensive breakdown in coverage. Mueller was left alone in the high slot and beat Ilya Bryzgalov to the high blocker side. Just 29 seconds later, Tomas Kopecky caught the Flyers on a change and went in alone on Bryzgalov putting it in the same spot that Mueller did moments earlier. 91 seconds later, Luke Schenn's shot was blocked sending Jonathan Huberdeau on a breakaway. Kimmo Timonen wrapped him up on the back-check which led to a penalty shot call. Huberdeau made a great move on Bryzgalov giving the Panthers a 3-0 lead.
|Grossmann fights Parros|
Philadelphia came out strong in the 2nd period outshooting the Panthers 6-0 in the first 5 minutes, but then got into penalty trouble. The Flyers took 3 minor penalties in a row and the Panthers finally took advantage on the third one when Huberdeau notched his second goal of the game.
The Flyers were forced to pull Bryzgalov following the 4th tally. It was the second time Bryzgalov has been pulled this season, the first being against Toronto in a 5-2 loss on February 11th.
Despite the change in goal, a timeout and a fight (Nicklas Grossmann vs George Parros) the Flyers couldn't gain any traction.
Philadelphia did finally break the shutout in the 3rd period with a pair of goals, from Luke Schenn and Jake Voracek. Unfortunately for the Flyers, Florida tacked on another goal from Mueller, killing any chance of a comeback.
Philadelphia falls to 8-10-1 on the season.
- Last time the Flyers failed to get a point on home ice was the first game of the season.
- Flyers outshot the Panthers 34-26.
- Ilya Bryzgalov made only 11 saves on 14 shots.
- After going 6 straight games without allowing a PowerPlay goal, they have given up 2 in back to back games.
- Voracek got his 8th point in the last 3 games and 4th goal in the last 2 games.
- Jonathan Huberdeau registered a career high 4 points tonight.
- Peter Mueller led both teams with 7 shots.
- Claude Giroux, who won 67% of his faceoffs, was given an assist on Voracek's goal giving him 6 points in the last 3 games.
- Matt Read, who was injured in yesterday's game versus the Penguins, suffered torn rib muscles and will miss at least 6 weeks.
- Scott Hartnell skated with the team for the first time since his foot surgery. Hartnell skated for about 90 minutes and said he's still not 100% but is improving everyday and can't wait to get back into the lineup. Hartnell will miss another 5-8 days.
- Andrej Meszaros visited the doctor today and his updated status was 7-10 more days. Meszaros suffered a shoulder injury and has been out since January 24th.
To view highlights of tonight's game: CLICK HERE
Drop the Puck:
The Flyers look to put this loss behind them as they face the Winnipeg Jets on Saturday afternoon at home.